1. Willkommen auf WildStarOnline.de!

Also, nicht lange überlegen und schnell und einfach kostenlos registrieren und viele weitere Features wie unseren DevTracker, Chat und vieles mehr entdecken!

TeeBlitz Ryan Metcalf Interview

Dieses Thema im Forum "Interviews" wurde erstellt von fullenchilada, 2. Dezember 2011.

TeeBlitz Ryan Metcalf Interview

Dieses Thema im Forum "Interviews" wurde erstellt von fullenchilada, 2. Dezember 2011.

fullenchilada

fullenchilada WildStarOnline.de Team

1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started?

In short, I’m a shameless nerd. I love video games, junk food, chip tunes and anyone who knows what a “Short Sword of Yakesha” is. I’ve always loved video game art but up until a few years ago thought I was going to be a graphic designer, so I was more focused in that direction. When I got into college I took some art classes and thought I’d see what animation was all about. That’s about the time I really started getting serious about it and decided I would like to pursue a career in games. One thing lead to another and I’m now living with my awesome wife in California working as a 3D Artist for NCSoft / Carbine Studios on what is probably the coolest video game ever: Wildstar.

2. What was your first big break that got you started on your career?

My first big break was getting an internship for Avalanche Software / Disney Interactive as a worldbuilder. I got to work on a couple titles and met some insanely talented artists.

3. What is your Favorite medium of art Pencil or Digital?

I’d say both. For the most part, I like to sketch with pencil and paint digitally. I’ll switch that up though, depending on what’s fastest or is the most fun at the time. For me, swapping between mediums is a good way to avoid slumps and keep things interesting, so I’m always between the two. At work however, It’s all digital.

4. Can you talk about your own creative process, from the idea to completion?

Depending on what I’m doing the process is different. If it’s something 3D I feel like I have more of a method and plan when I start. It helps to keep things organized, efficient and easier to fix when things are in the right place. With drawing/painting though, I do more exploration. Lots of looking up reference and trying to find inspiration that makes me feel like a nerdy kid again – trying to keep things fun. From there it’s usually pages of messy drawings until I find something that I want to detail out and attempt to make pretty.

5. Any other art media you work in or would like to try?

I did a little animating in school and definitely enjoyed it. I could see myself attempting that again someday for kicks. Other than that, some people at work are pretty gifted with crayon on post-it notes. I should probably invest some time in that before the market swings in that direction and I become obsolete.

6. Who is your biggest influence or inspiration on your art?

I have a lot of influences on my art and a lot of people to thank. To name a few I would say Cory Loftis, Mike Mignola, Greg Baldwin/Dave Guertin (Creature Box), Kekai Kotaki, Frank Frazetta and many many more. On top of that, all the insanely talented people I feel blessed to work with every day.

7. Career wise, If you could do anything else, what would you like to do?

My brain sometimes tells me I should make a comic book or indie game in my free time, but in terms of career I’m just happy to be where I am and am looking forward to whatever the future brings. I could however see myself staying at home and watching marathon episodes of “Dinosaurs”

8. Do you have any personal projects brewing?

Always! Nothing too exciting, but I’m always trying to do new paintings or 3D projects to keep the skills sharp and hopefully get better.

9. Any advice you have for aspiring artists?

I can only speak for myself as far as what helps me improve, but I’d say work hard, always be trying new things and don’t forget to have fun along the way. I have to be constantly studying and sketching if I don’t want to stagnate. Trying new styles, programs, and mediums always keeps me on my toes and helps avoid the inevitable bad drawing habits and repetition. Most importantly though, if I stop having fun, it turns into work and I get stuck on thinking “I HAVE to get better!” then everything becomes unproductive. When that happens I have to take a break, find some inspiration and then get back to it.

10. Anything else you would like to add?

Yes! Buy this shirt, especially if you hate it. And! ryanjmetcalf.blogspot.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Die Seite empfehlen

Gerade wird der Thread von (Nutzern: 0 und Gästen 0) angesehen.